Greetings from the President
Overcoming Mental and Neurological Diseases
The National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry (NCNP) are composed of the National Institute of Neuroscience, the Institute of Mental Health and the Hospital which are located closely in the same campus and functioning in one body. Thus NCNP would be very unique in the world because it is solely devoted to Neurological and Psychiatric disorders. The mission of NCNP is to overcome mental and neurological diseases, muscle disorders and developmental disorders.
In addition to research institutes and hospital, there are 4 organized structures which pursuit and support clinical researches and advanced medical services; the Translational Medical Center (TMC), the Medical Genome Center (MGC), the Integrated Brain Imaging Center (IBIC) and the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Center. MGC also serves as a center of bio-resources including a world-top class muscle bank and the office for the Japan Brain Bank Network.
We have also opened 7 specialized disease centers of which each center is composed of both physicians, researchers and other healthcare professionals. They include Muscular Disease Center, Multiple Sclerosis Center, Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorder Center, Epilepsy Center, Sleep Disorders Center, Early Detection and Intervention Center for Schizophrenia (EDICS) and Community Psychiatric Practice Center.
For the mission, we have 5 aims: to maximize the research and development, to develop highly advanced medicine, to promote its nation-wide standardization, to nurture neurologists, psychiatrists and medical staff of top-qualities, to develop and cooperate with national policies. In 2010, we changed from a national institute to an independent administrative agency in order to effectively pursuit the mission. After 5 years vigorous efforts and achievements which were highly evaluated, in 2015 we became a national research and development corporation which is further expected to maximize research and development.
We proudly serve in the world’s unique neurology and psychiatry center where we will spare no effort to quickly and effectively deliver advanced medical services and overcome diseases afflicting our patients. We deeply appreciate public and private support and cooperation for us.
President Hidehiro Mizusawa
- Aug.25.2020 Dysbiosis in the Gut Microbiome Shapes Disease Course in the Different Stages of Multiple Sclerosis
- Nov 28,2019 Results from a Global Phase III Study for Satralizumab in Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD)Published in The New England Journal of Medicine Online - Further support for IL-6 driven pathogenesis in NMOSD
- Sep 6, 2019 National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry and EA Pharma Co., Ltd. Sign a Global License Agreement for OCH-NCNP1
- Apr 19, 2018 Results of Exploratory Investigator-Initiated Clinical Trial of NS-065/NCNP-01 for the Treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Published in Science Translational Medicine
Who we are
The National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry (NCNP), located in the suburb of Tokyo, was established in 1986, as one of the six national centers of Japan. Our activities are characterized by close affiliation of two major Institutes (National Institute of Neuroscience and National Institute of Mental Health) and National Center Hospital of Neurology and Psychiatry. This effort is catalyzed by the Translational Medical Center, Integrative Brain Imaging Center, Center for Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Research and other facilities. Unlike similar medical institutions in the world, e.g. Max Planck Institute in Germany and the National Institute of Mental Health in the U.S, our Center is very unique and rare in that mental disorder, neurological disorder, muscular diseases, and developmental disorders are treated and researched at the same place. Accordingly, the NCNP may be called"The Only Flower in the World."
As"the only psychiatry & neurology center in the world,"the NCNP aims to enrich human health and welfare by providing high level medicine for patients with mental, nervous, muscular, or developmental disorders. Specifically, our endeavor include providing better treatments and developing a model medical care, based on cutting-edge research findings and technology in both basic and clinical fields. Highly dedicated doctors and co-medical staffs we train support these efforts.
Why your donation makes a difference
The range of activities, described above, is funded mainly by governmental budget (2014 FIY amount 4,246,000,000 JPY) and Hospital income (7,909,000,000 JPY).
Every effort has been made to maximize the cost-effectiveness of our performance in scientific and clinical fields. However, the recent initiatives by related governmental bodies pose us an even more stringent budget plan. As a result, part of research projects has been re-structured, resulting in, for example, a decrease in the number of personnel involved in academic work. Also, the lack of satisfactory understanding of the need to treat mental conditions continues to devalue the practice of psychiatrists, providing a hurdle against increasing the income of the Hospital.
These are part of the reasons why your generosity makes a difference. Many citizens in all countries, including yours, are suffering from disorders in the central nervous or muscular system. Probably, concerns on dementias, Parkinson's disease, depression, and developmental disorders are well shared in the public. However, the causes and therapeutics of many of these illnesses still remain to be explored and developed.
With your support and cooperation, our Center can maintain or even strengthen the muscles to conquer these difficulties facing the people on the globe. Donors may be eligible to place their names on the titles of departments, directorships, and facilities of the NCNP, depending on the conditions.
Could you please water "The Only Flower in the World"? If you prefer to make a donation, please send e-mail at the-only-flower（a）ncnp.go.jp .
National Center Hospital
- 1940 December: Established as Musashi sanatorium for disabled soldiers.
- 1945 December: Transferred to the Ministry of Health and Welfare, and inaugurated as National Musashi Sanatorium.
- 1978 January: Research institutes (Neurological Research Center of National Musashi Sanatorium) was set up.
- 1986 October: Merged National Musashi Sanatorium, and Neurological Research Center and National Mental Health Laboratory into the National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry.
- 2008 April 1: Renamed as National Center Hospital of Neurology and Psychiatry.
- 2010 April 1: Renamed as National Center Hospital, NCNP.
National Institute of Neuroscience
- 1978 January: Established as Neurological Research Center of National Musashi Sanatorium.
- 1986 October: Renamed as National Institute of Neuroscience, NCNP.
National Institute of Mental Health
- 1952 January: Established as National Institute of Mental Health Laboratory.
- 1960 October: Department of Developmental Disorders was added.
- 1965: Department of Psychiatric Rehabilitation was added.
- 1973: Department of Psychogeriatrics was added.
- 1986 October: Renamed as National Institute of Mental Health, NCNP.
- 1987 October: Department of Psychosomatic Research was added.
- 1999 April: Renamed Mental Retardation Department into Department of Developmental Disorders.
- 2003 October: Department of Forensic Psychiatry was added.
- 2005 March: Moved to Musashi area, Tokyo.
National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry
- 1986 October 1,: Merged National Musashi Sanatorium, its Neurological Research Center and National Institute of Mental Health into National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry.
- 1987 April 1: Merged National Kohnodai Hospital with National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry.
- 2008 April1: Merged National Kohnodai Hospital by International Medical Center of Japan.
The National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry (NCNP) contributes to human health and welfare. It offers high level medicine for patients with mental, nervous, muscular and developmental disorders and aims to improve their quality of life (QOL).
It promotes research on prevention and therapy of such disorders and produces highly qualified medical and health care professionals.
- National Center Hospital
- National Institute of Neuroscience
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Translational Medical Center
- Medical Genome Center
- Integrative Brain Imaging Center
- National Center for Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Research
Location and Transportation
- National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry(NCNP)
- Address : 4-1-1 Ogawa-Higashi, Kodaira,Tokyo 187-8551, Japan
- National Institute of Neuroscience
- Address : 4-1-1 Ogawa-Higashi, Kodaira, Tokyo 187-8502, Japan
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Address : 4-1-1 Ogawa-Higashi, Kodaira, Tokyo 187-8553, Japan
7-minute walk from Hagiyama station of Seibu Haijima-Line of Seibu Tamako-Line ( from JR Chuo-Line Kokubunji station ) 10-minute walk from Shin-Kodaira station of JR Musashino-Line
We don't accept inquiries concerning disease on the above mail address. If your inquiries include personal information, please mail it by letter to the corresponding section of NCNP.