Greetings from the President
The National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry originated from the disabled veteran Musashi Sanatorium, which was established in 1940, and was transferred to the Ministry of Health and Welfare in 1945 after the war. In 1978, a research department was added, and it took on a new mission as the National Musashi Sanatorium / Neurological Center. In 1986, integrating the National Institute of Mental Health, it became the prototype of the current National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry. Later, it became an independent administrative agency in 2010 and became a national research and development agency in 2015, and more emphasis has been placed on research and development.
The basic concept of this center is that the hospital and research institutes work together to conduct research and development aimed at overcoming mental, neurological, muscle diseases, and developmental disorders, and provide advanced pioneering medical care based on the research results and to disseminate good care throughout the country. The Center has two research institutes (National Institute of Neuroscience and National Institute of Mental Health). The National Institute of Neuroscience works on the elucidation of essential pathology of the above diseases, and the National Institute of Mental Health is involved in mental health generally including social implementation of the research results in order to promote national health and improve QOL of the people. The four centers (Integrative Brain Imaging Center, National Center for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Research, Medical Genome Center, Translational Medical Center) are responsible for not only implementing but also supporting research within and outside NCNP in the field of neuroimaging, cognitive behavioral therapy, genomic medicine, and bridging the gap between research and clinical practice. In addition, we have established specialized disease centers covering eleven areas such as muscle disease, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease / movement disorder, community model of mental health care (outreach services), schizophrenia, mood disorders, dementia, dysphasia, and drug addiction to provide advanced pioneering medical care for each area through multidisciplinary collaboration between laboratories, 4 centers, and hospitals.
The rapid increase in the number of patients with mental and neurological disorders such as developmental disorders, depression, and dementia in modern society is a national issue, and many mental and neurological disorders are positioned at the top of the health and life damage indicators (disability-adjusted life years). Overcoming these diseases is an urgent issue in the world. Our center intends to fulfill its mission as a united staff in accordance with our basic concept.
- May.2021 Discovery of Immune Biomarkers for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) based on B cell receptor repertoire analysis
- Aug.25.2020 Dysbiosis in the Gut Microbiome Shapes Disease Course in the Different Stages of Multiple Sclerosis
- Nov 28,2019 Results from a Global Phase III Study for Satralizumab in Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD)Published in The New England Journal of Medicine Online - Further support for IL-6 driven pathogenesis in NMOSD
- Sep 6, 2019 National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry and EA Pharma Co., Ltd. Sign a Global License Agreement for OCH-NCNP1
- Apr 19, 2018 Results of Exploratory Investigator-Initiated Clinical Trial of NS-065/NCNP-01 for the Treatment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Published in Science Translational Medicine
Who we are
The National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry (NCNP), located in the suburb of Tokyo, was established in 1986, as one of the six national centers of Japan. Our activities are characterized by close affiliation of two major Institutes (National Institute of Neuroscience and National Institute of Mental Health) and National Center Hospital of Neurology and Psychiatry. This effort is catalyzed by the Translational Medical Center, Integrative Brain Imaging Center, Center for Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Research and other facilities. Unlike similar medical institutions in the world, e.g. Max Planck Institute in Germany and the National Institute of Mental Health in the U.S, our Center is very unique and rare in that mental disorder, neurological disorder, muscular diseases, and developmental disorders are treated and researched at the same place. Accordingly, the NCNP may be called"The Only Flower in the World."
As"the only psychiatry & neurology center in the world,"the NCNP aims to enrich human health and welfare by providing high level medicine for patients with mental, nervous, muscular, or developmental disorders. Specifically, our endeavor include providing better treatments and developing a model medical care, based on cutting-edge research findings and technology in both basic and clinical fields. Highly dedicated doctors and co-medical staffs we train support these efforts.
Why your donation makes a difference
The range of activities, described above, is funded mainly by governmental budget (2014 FIY amount 4,246,000,000 JPY) and Hospital income (7,909,000,000 JPY).
Every effort has been made to maximize the cost-effectiveness of our performance in scientific and clinical fields. However, the recent initiatives by related governmental bodies pose us an even more stringent budget plan. As a result, part of research projects has been re-structured, resulting in, for example, a decrease in the number of personnel involved in academic work. Also, the lack of satisfactory understanding of the need to treat mental conditions continues to devalue the practice of psychiatrists, providing a hurdle against increasing the income of the Hospital.
These are part of the reasons why your generosity makes a difference. Many citizens in all countries, including yours, are suffering from disorders in the central nervous or muscular system. Probably, concerns on dementias, Parkinson's disease, depression, and developmental disorders are well shared in the public. However, the causes and therapeutics of many of these illnesses still remain to be explored and developed.
With your support and cooperation, our Center can maintain or even strengthen the muscles to conquer these difficulties facing the people on the globe. Donors may be eligible to place their names on the titles of departments, directorships, and facilities of the NCNP, depending on the conditions.
Could you please water "The Only Flower in the World"? If you prefer to make a donation, please send e-mail at the-only-flower（a）ncnp.go.jp .
National Center Hospital
- 1940 December: Established as Musashi sanatorium for disabled soldiers.
- 1945 December: Transferred to the Ministry of Health and Welfare, and inaugurated as National Musashi Sanatorium.
- 1978 January: Research institutes (Neurological Research Center of National Musashi Sanatorium) was set up.
- 1986 October: Merged National Musashi Sanatorium, and Neurological Research Center and National Mental Health Laboratory into the National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry.
- 2008 April 1: Renamed as National Center Hospital of Neurology and Psychiatry.
- 2010 April 1: Renamed as National Center Hospital, NCNP.
National Institute of Neuroscience
- 1978 January: Established as Neurological Research Center of National Musashi Sanatorium.
- 1986 October: Renamed as National Institute of Neuroscience, NCNP.
National Institute of Mental Health
- 1952 January: Established as National Institute of Mental Health Laboratory.
- 1960 October: Department of Developmental Disorders was added.
- 1965: Department of Psychiatric Rehabilitation was added.
- 1973: Department of Psychogeriatrics was added.
- 1986 October: Renamed as National Institute of Mental Health, NCNP.
- 1987 October: Department of Psychosomatic Research was added.
- 1999 April: Renamed Mental Retardation Department into Department of Developmental Disorders.
- 2003 October: Department of Forensic Psychiatry was added.
- 2005 March: Moved to Musashi area, Tokyo.
National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry
- 1986 October 1,: Merged National Musashi Sanatorium, its Neurological Research Center and National Institute of Mental Health into National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry.
- 1987 April 1: Merged National Kohnodai Hospital with National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry.
- 2008 April1: Merged National Kohnodai Hospital by International Medical Center of Japan.
The National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry (NCNP) contributes to human health and welfare. It offers high level medicine for patients with mental, nervous, muscular and developmental disorders and aims to improve their quality of life (QOL).
It promotes research on prevention and therapy of such disorders and produces highly qualified medical and health care professionals.
- National Center Hospital
- National Institute of Neuroscience
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Translational Medical Center
- Medical Genome Center
- Integrative Brain Imaging Center
- National Center for Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Research
Location and Transportation
- National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry(NCNP)
- Address : 4-1-1 Ogawa-Higashi, Kodaira,Tokyo 187-8551, Japan
- National Institute of Neuroscience
- Address : 4-1-1 Ogawa-Higashi, Kodaira, Tokyo 187-8502, Japan
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Address : 4-1-1 Ogawa-Higashi, Kodaira, Tokyo 187-8553, Japan
7-minute walk from Hagiyama station of Seibu Haijima-Line of Seibu Tamako-Line ( from JR Chuo-Line Kokubunji station ) 10-minute walk from Shin-Kodaira station of JR Musashino-Line
We don't accept inquiries concerning disease on the above mail address. If your inquiries include personal information, please mail it by letter to the corresponding section of NCNP.